Friday 8 July 2011

The Student Life...

You may not know that my nineteen year old son, Grizz, has come back home from Uni for the summer?

He's been back home for about a month.

There have been a couple of tantrums.

It's worse when I wake him up too early by trying to wash HIS dishes from the night before in MY kitchen sink.

By too early I mean anything before 1 in the afternoon!

...Now he kind of brings his girlfriend back on a night or so a week too.

My living room is not mine own.

Ditto the telly.

I can't remember when I last watched something I wanted to watch...

I love having him here, but it's also a bit bizarre, as he's returned to form and acts like a Baby Bird with his beak open waiting to be fed, even though he's more than capable of cooking for himself, as he does the rest of the year at Uni.

Mind, he's moving out to his privately-rented, bijou two-bedroomed flat with a student friend in August, (they know one another from school and he's from a fabulous family, I've met his mother so I am comforted it's going to be fine...).

The downstairs Victorian garden flat is situated in a posh part of the city but very near to a green space.

Beloved of students and its residents alike. I'd describe it as a lovely, 'chi chi' area of town - with greenery and trees, cosmopolitan coffee bars, conventional drinking holes, restaurants and pretty little 'lifestyle' shops that sell haute fashion, fripperies, and Cath Kidston to yummy mummies.

I looked in a second hand jewellery boutique there only the other day and the prices almost made my eyes melt.



I'm wondering when I can move in??!


Oh, it's Fhina by the way...

6 comments:

  1. Having him home sounds like a mixed blessing! Will you be paying for this bijou residence or does he earn in the afternoons?
    I like to visit here for information about what I have to look forward to... I feel it may provide immunisation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't help ourselves can we? however big they are they are still our babies/boys and we still treat them that way...feed them/wash their stuff/slip them a fiver now and again etc.,.......and love it....or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Hausfrau, we do pay for his bijou residence - He does not have a little job, as Uni takes up most of his day and sleeping and partying the rest... He does fit in some study too...

    As for immunisation - Remember to keep coming back for the booster shots! x

    Libby: I know, I know, all this is true, but I miss a little bit of space when they're all here on my sofa, pushing me off to bed before bed-time... I do love him dearly, bien sur! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is home from Uni and its a familiar story here. Love her to bits but she can take over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dianne, thank you for sharing - It is true, we love them to bits - G is at his girlfriend's today so I actually feel I can breathe, as well as rattle the pots and pans in the kitchen again x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once heard an interview with Kalvin Hall (finance guru to the not so stellar) who said that as long as he could remember, his single mother of 8 kids made it plain that at age 18 they were on there own, she'd done her bit! As my own dear departed morher used to say about my older siblings, "not only do the buggers come back, they bring their bloody husbands and kids with them!" I personally feel that borrowing nephews, nieces and god children, was so much more pleasant , especially handing them back (i seem to have dodged a bullet with Grizz, thankfully).

    ReplyDelete